Gabrielle Javier-Cerulli
My Creative Life is a weekly interview, with the same five questions,
with folks who are living authentically, creatively, and making a living out of the
ir passions.

This week I'm honored to have Meghan Murphy an illustrator with a sense of humor! Please do yourself a favor and put a smile on your face by checking out her website at
www. kawaiinot.com. Her comic strips are reminiscent of Henny Youngman - short, simple but full of vigor.

1. What do you do? (career wise- whatever you want to share)
I am a freelance illustrator. I also produce a bi-weekly webcomic called Kawaii not.

2. How did you prepare for this career? (formal and informal education, books, workshops?)
I was lucky enough to go to an "arts" high school, so I was started on my creative path ev en before college. I went on to receive a B.A. in Visual Arts from SUNY New Paltz, and then a M.A. in Com pu ter Graphics Design from Rochester Institute of Technology.

3. Besides living according to the values of creativity and independence, what other values are
you honoring by following this path?

I'd like to think I am honoring the value of "being crazy"--'cause sometimes it is good for the
soul just to be ridiculous for awhile. It's the old idea that being a

little loony keeps you sane in the long run.

4. What struggles or challenges do you face, if any?

I have to work to keep myself busy. I need to have a couple jobs/pr
ojects/ideas going on
at once to keep my brain from rusting.


5. Can you give some advice to folks who would like to do what you do?
My best advice would be just to keep doing what you're doing. If you love it, it is worth
your time and effort. The more you do, the better you get,
and the more things will happen.
0 Responses