Gabrielle Javier-Cerulli
My Creative Life is a weekly interview, with the same five questions, with folks who are living authentically, creatively, and making a living out of their passions.

This week I’m honored to have the multi-talented Ted Mikulski - painter, sculptor, teacher, author, and web designer. He lives and breathes the creative process.
You have to check out his artwork (make sure you take a gander at the murals!) and feel the energy at
www.tedmikulski.com

1. What do you do? (career wise - whatever you want to share)
I consider myself to be a professional artist, painter and sculptor. I have been doing that for several years and have exhibited in galleries throughout New England. However, I also teach art part-time at Tunxis Community College as well as a painting course at Manchester Community College. On top of this I am a freelance web designer and upcoming author of the book 'Art Is Dead'. I also work in business consulting to help companies with their online web branding. I believe having a diverse range of work and jobs keeps me sane and inspired.

2. How did you prepare for this career? (formal and informal education, books, workshops?)
My formal education is in architecture from Norwich University. I have a passion for architecture but realized that the business of architecture simply was not for me. Throughout my schooling I dove into art and web design as further creative outlets. Upon graduation I took the road less traveled and tried my hand at web design entrepreneurship. The company did not succeed but it taught me quite a bit and allowed me to make smarter business decisions which I then applied to art and freelance work. There is a wealth of knowledge available at the click of a button now to teach you about anything you may want to do, you just have to have the will to do it.

3. Besides living according to the values of creativity and independence, what other values are you honoring by following this path?
I think in today's society we often limit ourselves and rely on a single profession. We get a degree in 'XX' and we are told that for the foreseeable future we will work in the 'XX' field. Sure it is stability, but I think it limits our ability to expand our own interactions with the world including our spirituality. I wanted to prove to myself that I was not defined by what is written on my degree and I believe I have done that. I don't think I am the 9-5 type.

4. What struggles or challenges do you face, if any?
I think the route that I am on is the hardest road to find. There involves quite a bit of uncertainty and I would not recommend it for everyone. Jobs sometimes are few and far between and sometimes I won't sell a painting for months at a time. It brings new meaning to the saying 'living pay-check to pay-check'. It also can take years before you have established yourself to where you get enough work to pay your bills. However these challenges often birth new opportunities and it is the struggles and challenges that really keep me motivated. It is a bit like being on a roller coaster and if you are a thrill-seeker then you won't mind the dips and dives.

5. Can you give some advice to folks who would like to do what you do?
My advice would be that it is a challenging life but I believe it to be the most rewarding. I love waking up every morning and everyday is something to look forward to. You have to be self-motivated and you have to be able to cope with failure. The most successful people are also the ones who failed the most times. Explore new opportunities everyday, treat your clients right, and most importantly work hard. You'll work harder than you ever have before, but you'll love every moment of it.
1 Response
  1. Gexton Says:

    This week I’m honored to have the multi-talented Ted Mikulski - painter, sculptor, teacher, author, and web designer. He lives and breathes the creative process. You have to check out his artwork (make sure you take a gander at the murals!) and feel the energy at.