Gabrielle Javier-Cerulli
My Creative Life is a weekly interview, with the same five questions, with folks who are living authentically, creatively, and making a living out of their passions.
This week I’m honored to Courtney Konecny, a smart and talented licensed art therapist in Rochester, NY. She loves what she does and wholeheartedly believes in the healing process that can happen when using the creative/expressive arts. Be sure to check her out at www.ArborArtTherapy.com


1. What do you do? (career wise - whatever you want to share)
I am a creative arts therapist working in private practice as well as a painter & mixed media artist

2. How did you prepare for this career? (formal and informal education, books, workshops?)
I obtained my undergraduate degrees in psychology and fine art and during that time I was perfectly ok with the thought of spending my life as a nomadic starving artist. Then one day, can't really say when, someone told me about the field of art therapy and my whole life sort of shifted, and it all just began to make sense! So I pursued my graduate degree in creative arts therapy, went through the long hours that it took to become a fully credentialed art therapist, and threw myself into books and art...it was a thirst for knowledge and alot of self-educating and practice.

3. Besides living according to the values of creativity and independence, what other values are you honoring by following this path?
Healing on one's own terms, knowledge, the right to be an expressive human being and honoring that in others. The value of living outside the box...and then building the box around yourself...that's a biggie.

4. What struggles or challenges do you face, if any?
I would have say there are 2 huge and quite frustrating struggles I have faced since entering this field 7years ago.
The 1st, is the realization that many people do not take my craft seriously...and even more don't even understand what I do! I have had to really put myself out there in the community to educate people because I truly, passionately believe in the healing power of creative expression. And most people do not get it.
The 2nd, is that I do not have nearly enough time anymore to focus on my own work. I honestly, not for a minute, thought that would ever become an issue for me. But, 1 demanding career and 1 toddler later, and it has taken its toll on my ability to find balance for myself. I never thought I would long for the starving artist dreams!

5. Can you give some advice to folks who would like to do what you do?
Never lose sight of the reasons you are choosing this path... the art and your clients. They are both gifts beyond imagination.