Gabrielle Javier-Cerulli

Today is the first post of "My Creative Life," which is a weekly interview with folks who are living authentically, creatively, and making a living out of their passions.

I'm honored to have Jeni Swerdlow be my first since she is the one who introduced me to the fields of art therapy, music as healing, and expressive arts therapy.
Jeni's website: www.drummm.com

1. What do you do? (career wise - whatever you want to share)

I am the creator and lead facilitator for DRUMMM Rhythmic Events. We provide innovative, hands-on drumming experiences for corporate and community events to build stronger teams, promote wellness, celebrate milestones and have fun.
2. How did you prepare for this career? (formal and informal education, books, workshops?)

A BA in art and psychology and an MA in art therapy fostered the practice of self-expression as a tool for healing. Losing my home in a fire brought me to the drum. Once I found my rhythm, I began an in-depth inquiry into the teachings of the drum. I played a lot and I listened more. I studied drumming and dance in Senegal, drum facilitation with master teachers around the United States, and eventually began sharing my passion with world 10 years ago.

3. Besides living according to the values of creativity and independence, what other values are you honoring
by following this path?

DRUMMM fosters CONNECTION--to the mind-body, to each other, to the music and to the universe. It's about the joy and healing power of PLAY, through which we can experience freedom and spontaneity in the moment. It's about COLLABORATING with others to create something that is bigger than the sum of our parts.

4. What struggles or challenges do you face, if any?

It's interesting to do something that I love for a living. People don't always get that I work very, very hard--and bring a lot of experience to the table--to make sure that everyone is engaged and having a positive experience. Making something look fun and easy doesn't mean that it's not work, often it's quite the opposite. If people only knew how many hours of work goes into producing each and every DRUMMM event!

5. Can you give some advice to folks who would like to do what you do?

Do it! Get curious about drumming--take as many classes and attend as many workshops as possible. Seek support-- find a teacher you like, join internet groups, even videos can help develop facilitation skills. Experience is the best teacher--get some drums and percussion instruments, start a community drum circle, spread the word and help it grow.
0 Responses