Gabrielle Javier-Cerulli
My Creative Life is a weekly interview with folks who are living authentically, creatively, and making a living out of their passions.
I'm honored to have Mary Ann Wakeley share some of her insights with you. Her work flows with grace and ease. Lovely and bold.

1. What do you do?

I am an abstract painter working with mixed media. Most of my work is on wood.


2. How did you prepare for this career? (formal and informal education, books, workshops?)

My training as an artist has mostly come through experimenting on my own. I was never trained as a painter. I thought early on that I wanted to be an interior designer and took some art and design evening classes at the Philadelphia College of Textiles and Sciences. When I realized this was not the route I wanted to go, I took a drawing and sculpture class at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, dropping the sculpture class after two sessions.

From that point on, I discontinued formal training and spent a lot of time educating myself through books and other reading material, using what time I had outside of my full time working life as an administrative assistant by experimenting with painting and drawing. It wasn’t until several years later after I turned 40 that I decided to put all my energy into painting. I have been continuing on this path since that time.


3. Besides living according to the values of
creativity and independence, what other values are you honoring by following this path?

Mainly I honor the value of the spiritual self in myself and in others. I try to help others when it’s needed by offering my support in whatever way I can. Outside of that, I focus on what’s important for me to be a happy and caring individual so that the energy I send out into the world is positive. I believe our intention is the most important thing.


4. What struggles or challenges do you face, if any?

I view life as an adventure. My nature is to have fun but get things done in the process so managing my time to keep everything in balance seems to be the main challenge. In addition, I have familial responsibilities and a house to run. I like finding new ways to deal with life’s challenges.


5. Can you give some advice to folks who would like to do what you do?

My favorite piece of advice is a quote, although I forget the source! It is “leap and the net will appear”.


Follow your heart’s desire for that is your personal guide leading you to what makes you happy. Do not be afraid because fear paralyses your creative urges. If you want to paint, you must paint—start by doing it. Educate yourself in whatever way feels right whether it’s through self-education or by going to school. Check out artists’ blogs. I personally enjoy offering my work on the internet versus galleries. I like to feel personally connected with the people who purchase my work, and this is not always possible when you sell through galleries. Selling online also gives me more time to spend painting as there isn’t any travel time outside of purchasing supplies. There are many websites for artists to offer their work. I like etsy.com—I paint, put it online, and ship directly from home. The only way to know if something will work is by doing it. I also connect with people through my art at flickr.com. In October 2008 I started a blog to document my life as an artist. These are things that I am enjoying and view as successful as I make my art right now.


http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=36094

http://www.flickr.com/people/maryannwakeley/

http://maryannwakeley.blogspot.com/





1 Response
  1. Gabrielle, Thank you so much for sharing this very inspirational interview with us. I adore Mary Ann Wakeley's work, and I love that she is self taught and threw herself at her art when she was 40.
    Looks like you have a fabulous blog here ! I'm an abstract painter and coach originally from the US, living in France, and all of this is right up my alley ! i'm going to sign up for your newsletter.