Gabrielle Javier-Cerulli
My Creative Life is a weekly interview, with the same five questions, with folks who are living authentically, creatively, and making a living out of their passions.

This week I am honored to have Thomas Cleary of Retied Rope Rugs where retired rock climbing ropes are recycled into rugs, dog leashes, and key chains. Truly unique items! Great gifts for the outdoorsy type:)

1. Wh
at do you do? (career wise - whatever you want to share)

In addition to being head weaver and webmaster for Retied Rope Rugs, www.roperugs.com, my primary job is science and outdoor education teacher at a small public charter school in south central Colorado. I also help my wife with her web-based info-business, www.whole-body-detox-diet.com.

2. How did you prepare for this career? (formal and informal education, books, workshops?)

I started using my old rock climbing ropes to make doormats over 12 years ago. It took many attempts to find a workable rug pattern, and then I had to find a source of retired ropes. Over the years I have added other rug patterns, dog leashes and horse leads, dog and cat toys and even Christmas wreaths, all made from recycled rope. Many of the rug patterns come from the mariner’s tradition and can be found in collections such as Ashley’s Book of Knots.

3. Besides living according to the values of creativity and independence, what other values are you honoring by following this path?

I love the creative process and am always looking for new ideas. My biggest failure was a hammock that ended up weighing 25 pounds and was so lumpy that lying on it was worse than a bed of nails! This past-time of working with ropes has helped me with practicing patience and humility, the website design reminds me that I am not in charge or in control! Working with others ropes to create a functional keepsake reminds me of impermanence. These are indispensable values in my role as a teacher!

4. What struggles or challenges do you face, if any?

Many of the rugs I make are from ropes that people send to me for weaving. In this economy climbers are retiring fewer ropes and are less willing to send them to me to immortalize their climbing memories into a rug. I created a do-it-yourself kit for folks wanting to explore the creative rug making process themselves, and these have been very popular. Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKWdf3YSsKI.

5. Can you give some advice to folks who would like to do what you do?

I encourage recycling based art and reused products. In this economic and environmental climate finding ways to turn ‘waste’ into something beautiful and useful is of paramount importance. I challenge others to create something new from something old, it is an inspiring process!

1 Response
  1. tushar Says:

    hey thats a good blog. Very creative. Life Wellness Centre offers advanced
    whole body detox
    retreats ranging from 5 days, 10 days and 14 days.