Gabrielle Javier-Cerulli
My Creative Life is a weekly interview, with the same five questions, with folks who are living authentically, creatively, and making a living out of their passions.

This week I’m honored to have Toronto's Jamie Ridler, a creative woman who lives and breathes the creative process and guides others in finding their authentic creative Self. Be sure to check out her website and blog for inspiration and for a visual treat! She is super nice so drop her a line, she'd be glad to chat. She can work with you over the phone!

BONUS: Check out her movement video below!

Website: http://jamieridlerstudios.ca/
Twitter: @starshyne

1. What do you do? (career wise - whatever you want to share)
I’m a creative self-development coach and the owner of Jamie Ridler Studios. My work revolves around helping creative, independent spirits step out of the shadows and be the star they are. I do this through coaching, workshops, products and online activities.

2. How did you prepare for this career? (formal and informal education, books, workshops?)
What a journey! In many ways I’ve been preparing for this work my entire life. I’ve always been a creative creature and grew up surrounded by books and paints, fabrics and puppets. My first love was dance and then the theatre. I discovered coaching after admitting to myself that the path I was on (a doctorate in drama) was taking me in the wrong direction. I did a great deal of soul-searching, brainstorming, discussing with friends and loved ones to get clear on my best skills, my deepest loves, how I wanted to make a difference and what I wanted to get out of a career. When I found coaching, it fit me like a dream. I did the core curriculum and then certification with the life-changing Coaches Training Institute (www.thecoaches.com). Later, to help bring my creativity and coaching together, I took a foundational program in Expressive Arts Therapy at ISIS in Toronto (http://www.isis-canada.org).

3. Besides living according to the values of creativity and independence, what other values are you honoring by following this path?
Life. Individuality. Sacredness. Love. Self-Expression. Courage.
I believe that we are here for 2 purposes: to be ourselves and to love our lives. Being ourselves involves knowing who we are, expressing and sharing the richness and the uniqueness that we bring to this world. And loving our lives means both tending them lovingly and also creating a life we’re wildly in love with. That’s the work I do. Delicious.

4. What struggles or challenges do you face, if any?
Growing what I offer into a business has been a challenge but also the most surprising and extraordinary opportunity for self-development. I had no idea that it could be like this. I’ve had to release all sorts of limiting beliefs about business, marketing, networking, sales and money. Now Jamie Ridler Studios feels like an exciting creative project full of connecting, inspiration, sharing, love and exchange. And that’s business. How cool is that?

5. Can you give some advice to folks who would like to do what you do?
Take the first step. We can all spend so much time preparing, training, reading, visioning, journaling, discussing, planning, that it takes us years to step into the adventure of our dreams. All of that is important but wherever you can, reach inside and find the curiosity and courage to take a step. That step will give you immediate and important information. We can wonder for hours about what something tastes like but in the second it takes to put it in our mouths, we know! So have a taste. See how it feels. And if you’re spirit says, “Yes!” take the next step. Dive in and trust yourself. The world needs your gifts. And if there’s any way I can help, email me at jamie@openthedoor.ca. I’m always interested in talking to helpers and creatives who are starting down the path to their dreams!




Sigh Dance inspired by MuseCubes from Jamie Ridler on Vimeo.

6 Responses
  1. organicsyes Says:

    Wow! Thanks for this interview with jamie:) Love her!

    The DanceSigh is gorgeous:)
    Susan


  2. Suzie Ridler Says:

    Awesome! Of course I am biased but wow, Jamie is always inspiring and has been since she was a young girl. I loved the video! Nice to see Jamie dancing and having fun, what a star.


  3. love her, too!
    and enjoyed very much this and already read some others interviews!
    yes very nice site.
    cheers!


  4. Thanks Carmen, Suzie, and Susan!
    Glad you enjoyed the interview:)
    My first time to include a video! Yay Jamie!


  5. That's very nice for sharing a useful article.