Gabrielle Javier-Cerulli
My Creative Life is a weekly interview, with the same five questions, with folks who are living authentically, creatively, and making a living out of their passions.

This week I’m honored to have Washington DC's Analiese Bendorf, a Grant Writer and Researcher. She's the first creative administrative interviewee I've had and I am so excited! I've worked in the arts advocacy world and also with many, many nonprofits, and know how CRUCIAL Analiese's job is for the arts to thrive. She is passionate about her writing and her work! Be inspired by her answers, especially #3!

Drop her a line at her blog, Tulips and Tea
Twitter = @analiesemarie

1. What do you do? (career wise - whatever you want to share) I work as a Grant Writer and Researcher for an art museum in Washington, DC. I meet with staff members from all departments of the museum to learn about upcoming programs and projects that need funding. This could be anything from launching a contemporary installation series to designing art-integrated educational programs to acquiring new equipment for the museum's art conservation lab and more. I research and identify funding sources for these projects, then write grant proposals to foundations and government agencies. Once a grant has been awarded, I'm responsible for writing reports and other pieces of correspondence to keep the funder informed of the impact of the grant. I've always been passionate about both writing and art, and I feel extremely fortunate to be in a position which combines the two. It's a joy to know that my work helps enable the museum to serve the Washington community (as well as a national and international audience of visitors) and to impact peoples' lives through the power of art.

2. How did you prepare for this career? (formal and informal education, books, workshops?)
The arts have played a significant role in my life from a very young age. As a child, I spent hours drawing, painting, and crafting, and also took dance lessons and piano lessons for many years. My parents took me and my younger sister to museums, concerts, and plays, and strongly encouraged my artistic leanings. As a result, the idea that creative expression should be honored and supported was ingrained in me from an early age. At George Washington University, I majored in Cultural Anthropology, studying how humans communicate and interpret meaning within and across cultures. The school's Anthropology program benefited from a unique partnership with the Smithsonian Institution, and I had the opportunity to take classes on-site at the various museums, taught by Smithsonian curators. I became interested in the way museums express their unique knowledge and mission to the world, and began to seriously consider a career in the museum world. With my love of art, it became clear to me that using my writing abilities to further the mission of an art museum was a natural fit. I continue to learn everything I can about my craft by taking classes and workshops (such as those offered by Foundation Center); talking to other individuals in the field (I've connected with some through Twitter!); and reading numerous blogs and publications (see #5 below for some examples).

3. Besides living according to the values of creativity and independence, what other values are you honoring by following this path?
Service. I feel that I am using my abilities in service of a cause larger than myself, which is to advocate for the importance of art, and to help make possible the kind of artistic experiences that empower and inspire people and contribute to making Washington, DC a culturally vital community.

4. What struggles or challenges do you face, if any?
In this difficult economy, securing grants is more challenging than ever, especially for the arts, which, in times of great need, are sometimes viewed by funders as less important than basic human services. However, with this challenge comes a great opportunity as many museums and arts organizations are being forced to innovate in order to attract new audiences and fulfill their missions with fewer resources. The organizations who use this crisis as a catalyst for rethinking how they can provide relevant and robust programming in a more efficient way (by forming partnerships with other non-profits, for example) are the ones who will emerge scrappy and victorious on the other side of this mess, and they will be better for it.

5. Can you give some advice to folks who would like to do what you do?
You can spend forever "preparing" for your life's work, but the best way to begin is to begin. For example, if you're interested in writing about art, start writing about art and submit your writing to a couple publications. If you want to work in the non-profit world or a museum specifically, schedule an informational interview to learn more. Find a mentor, get an internship, volunteer...just start doing. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that you have to have a specific type of educational or work background. Degrees and other types of formal training are useful, but enthusiasm, discipline, and a willingness to learn count for a lot, no matter what field you're interested in. That being said, if you want to work at a museum, it wouldn't hurt to learn more about the museum world by, of course, visiting lots of museums and reading blogs, books, magazines, etc. One of my favorite museum-related blogs is Museum 2.0, by the fantastic Nina Simon, who designs participatory and innovative museum experiences. You can also stay current on topics in philanthropy and the non-profit world by reading publications like the Chronicle of Philanthropy and Philanthropy News Digest. The Foundation Center offers free classes, workshops, and webinars geared toward those in the non-profit world. I also recommend the very excellent book Storytelling for Grantseekers: The Guide to Creative NonProfit Fundraising.
3 Responses
  1. A career-coaching agreement is an investment that pays for itself many times over. With an experienced coach in your career-search corner, you'll find that fee-based guidance pays for itself in different ways.

    Career Coaching


  2. Unknown Says:

    Nice information very useful for me thank you so much for sharing
    I Need a Life Coach | lifecoachram