Gabrielle Javier-Cerulli

A few days ago I had a fitness assessment. The sad numbers weren’t a surprise, as I know I have a lot of work to do on my physical Self. The trainer advised me that the #1 word I cannot use while exercising is “comfortable.” If I’m comfortable, I’m not going to get the results I wish for. In order to change, I must get uncomfortable and pretty often. I need to sweat, move my body in ways that are different, be consistent, and try new things.

The same goes for expressive arts coaching, life coaching, expressive arts facilitation, and even therapy at times. If your goal is to find your life purpose, then you need to get Uncomfortable by way of really evaluating your life, hiring someone to help you, and also be open to taking some risks. If your goal is to get more organized, you need to get Uncomfortable with filing those papers every single day for the next 21 days until it becomes a habit even though you can make up excuses why those stacks can wait for another time. If you are suffering from an addiction, in order to cross over to the other side of it, there will be many days of being Uncomfortable, and that’s where the breakthroughs live.

So to summarize,

Comfortable = status quo

Uncomfortable = growth and progress

Labels: edit post
3 Responses
  1. I think this is a great way to express this by using this nice and easy formula. Sometimes it sure can be hard to get into things and allow the uncomfortable feelings to be there long enough for us to get moving forward the to have growth occur. Usually, myself included, we want to jump out of the uncomfortable feelings when they hit.


  2. Hi Diane,
    Thank you for sharing and for your insight.

    I just want to say, "Ain't that the truth!"

    We humans are wired to not want to deal with the uncomfortable but it's necessary! (of course, only at certain times)


  3. uncomfortable, indeed! i began a similiar journey one year ago and have transformed my life through honest evaluation, hard work, and inspired action. i called all of this finally encountering myself. the self without the extra 22 pounds of blubber and baggage. have a peek here if you'd like, and take heart for the journey ahead. it is a MOST rewarding adventure! http://heartpiercinglife.blogspot.com/2009/04/finally-encounter-her.html

    xoxo stephanie